An emblematic building of Troyes
Situated in today’s pedestrian area, once the site of fairs and markets during the Middle Ages, building of the church began in the 13th century on the ruins of a church burnt down in 1188. Its complex architecture bears witness to the different stages of its construction and modifications over a period of several centuries: the nave (13th -15th), the bell tower (14th), the chancel (14th-16th), the aisles (16th) and the clock tower (end 16th – beginning 17th). Parts of the building damaged by the great fire of 1524 were immediately rebuilt by the architect Martin de Vaulx.
A remarkable collection of stained glass windows and carvings of the 16th century
The monumental high altar, built in 1667 according to plans by the architect Noblet, contains two paintings from the artist Pierre Mignard and carved bronze statues by the sculptor François Girardon, both official artists to King Louis XIV.
From neglect to renovation
Classified as an historical monument since 1840, its condition deteriorated throughout the 19th century. The bell tower collapsed in 1911, totally destroying the west-facing entrance.